9.29.2012

Stud Finder

I have a lamp to hang near my newly assembled cutting and work table. It is a lamp that I have not used since I sold the house and moved to a smaller apartment. Right now it is just sitting on my new table taking up space and not being useful. I have even purchased a wall bracket so I could hang it from the wall instead of the ceiling. The ceiling has a surface that will be harder to repair than two screw holes in the wall.  

I asked my son if he could help me hang the lamp bracket, but he was reluctant because of the possibility of electrical wires in the specific wall. When I paid the rent I asked the apartment manager and she said it would not be a problem as long as I found a wall stud. When I relayed this information my son said we still need to have a stud finder. I asked if he knew what they cost and he said about $30.00. The next question was do we know some one who would lend us one and the only name he came up with was my brother who is 700 miles away.  

Zircon Stud Finder about $50.00
I looked up stud finders on the big box store web-site and found out that they carry stud finders in a wide range of prices. The highest on the web site was the Zircon Multi-Scanner for just under $50.00. This same brand had models at prices all down the line to about $10.00. There was one other model, the Johnson Stud Finder Plus, for less than $3.50. The plus is an on-board level. In all of my years, this is not a tool I have ever needed. I think the lesser model will be fine. I just don't want to have to go to a big box store, well, a big box mostly guy's store and have to ask for a Johnson Stud Finder. Who names these things?

Johnson Stud Finder about $3.50

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.