5.03.2020

Life in a Pandemic Infected World

Masks
Masks, wear them, don't wear them, only use N95 masks, no you don't need anything that strong.  Make for your neighbors, make for hospitals, make for the world, and for yourself, or not. 

I am happy to make a few masks. I started making for a group in the neighborhood that was helping out hospitals, but the hospitals didn't want them. The hospitals are asking for surgical caps instead. Some people cry and beg for people to make masks, others will trash them so the fabric and time is a total waste.  I'm still making them. I sell them for what it costs to make them, not getting rich or price gouging, just have them available if someone needs one.

Just for perspective, farmers are having to plow crops under, pour out milk, cause piglets to be aborted, and otherwise waste perfectly good farm products and livestock because food processing plants and transportation supply lines are disrupted.  What a shame.  We will all feel the brunt of that soon.

Non-essential workers are required to stay home.  I am considered essential so I am working.  I am grateful for that, however, if I was "nonessential" I would be keeping myself busy creating at home.  I work with people 62 and older, so I don't risk going out except when I have to make a grocery run. The people I work with have to stay in too, but I see them going outside to hug grandkids or go to lunch with another family member. I understand their loneliness and desire to see friends and family.  I pray they do not get infected with the virus.  Because of age alone, they are all high risk even if they do not have other co-mobility issues.  I wish they understood that if they bring in the virus the risk to spread to all their neighbors is very high.  

I read "Nextdoor" a website where neighbors can connect and share news or useful information, but they mostly complain about their neighbors who do not wear masks. We all have to get through this, it is hard on those who stay home, it is hard on those who are on the frontline.  I don't know how to make it easier, but maybe we can all keep the snarky comments to ourselves.  Masks are uncomfortable.  I don't know how they wear them and run or bike and I don't blame them if they don't.  When outside it is easier to stay your distance, but when going into public buildings and closed spaces then certainly be respectful and wear a mask.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.