It started with a plan and supplies. Pictured below my straight edge ruler, rotary cutter, 60 degree diamond template, a cutting mat, fabric and thread. Not in the photo, but equally important are the sewing machine, iron and ironing board. The iron and I are spending a lot of time together on this project. First I cut all of the pieces. That took a while and I have to admit I started it before Thanksgiving. Then I sewed the diamonds into hexagon blocks, but that was as far as I had gone. I think it is safe to say that I got the pieces cut in a week and sewed the blocks in the next week.
|Tools and Supplies|
|Block before sewn together.|
I have also changed thread for each seam, matching the thread to the diamond pieces. For example if the top fabric is gold, but the bottom fabric is green then the needle color is gold and the bobbin color is green. Because all of the seams are small I have used thread on bobbins for both sides. It makes constant thread changes easier. Thankfully my machine will thread its own needle. Otherwise I would probably be using clear nylon thread, which I really do not like. I will keep you posted as this quilt top progresses.