1.07.2013

Pattern

My word today is pattern. Pattern because I am using a pair of jeans to make a new pattern. I finished a pair last year that I had started earlier but did not realize at the time that I would blog about it so I had not taken a lot of photographs. I also was not sure how they would turn out so at the time I used the original pair as the pattern and did not make a paper copy. I plan to make a pattern this time because I liked the fit and know how they will turn out. We can cover that in future blogs that illustrate more of the technical information.

This time I will make a few alterations, mostly to the front pockets. I found that sometimes the pocket lining would show. This time I will make some simple changes to resolve that issue. 

When I came home from work I was not tired so I made notations and pinned down a few pattern pieces. Then I decided to make some changes, but I had to stop when Dot wanted to play too and got right in the way. Now I am too tired to work on it any more tonight so I will leave it on the cutting table to work on again tomorrow evening.

As I sew these up I am going to write instructions with photographs so this will ultimately result in a how to/sew along kind of project, but for now I will share just this one photograph.

Sharpie and ruler/straight edge to mark the grainline 



pattern (n.) Look up pattern at Dictionary.com
early 14c., "outline, plan, model, pattern;" early 15c. as "model of behavior, exemplar," from Old French patron and directly from Medieval Latin patronus (see patron).

Extended sense of "decorative design" first recorded 1580s, from earlier sense of a "patron" as a model to be imitated. The difference in form and sense between patron and pattern wasn't firm till 1700s. Meaning "model or design in dressmaking" (especially one of paper) is first recorded 1792, in Jane Austen.



alter (v.) Look up alter at Dictionary.com
late 14c., "to change (something)," from Old French alterer "change, alter," from Medieval Latin alterare "to change," from Latin alter "the other (of the two)," from PIE *al- "beyond" (seealias (adv.)) + comparative suffix -ter (cf. other). Intransitive sense "to become otherwise" first recorded 1580s. Related: Alteredaltering.


Pattern and Alter  Word Origin information form Online Etymology Dictionary. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.