2.16.2013

"New" Toy



Oops, I did not mean to let so much time pass between posts, but while I was writing about words and tools, I was also spending more time sewing.  I finished a pair of jeans, a blouse and a doll dress. The doll dress is made from a scrap of the blouse fabric.  My intention is to write a post about the blue jeans construction, but it will take several posts to include everything.  I just have not had the time to write the proper instructions, but I will.

I really like my sewing machine and it does a great job, however, I have also decided I wanted something that I could dedicate to sewing denim, canvas and other heavier fabrics, so I have been busy looking around for something basic that would do the job.  Look what I found:


This is a Singer 99K, made in Great Brittan in the 50s.  It has a good little motor and is in relatively good shape.  However, it was advertised to have all of its original parts. As far as that goes, all of what it has are original I am sure, but it is missing a few things.  Presser feet, faceplate, light diffuser glass and the pin that holds thread, but I am looking for these replacement parts and will have them all gathered together soon I hope.  It could also use a new belt, which I have not looked for yet, but I am confident that I can find one. 

I learned to sew on my mom's machine that looks just like this.  With the feet attachments it can do quite a bit, like make ruffles and button holes.  It is a relatively simple machine with an exterior motor that will sew a straight seam all day.  In its day it was quite the work horse.  No fancy stitches, just straight line stitches but it will sew through tougher fabric without having to be babied. For being a "portable" machine it is pretty heavy duty. They just don't make them like this any more.  I am picking up presser feet for it today and still looking for some of the other parts.  I am looking forward to having it all together and in full working order.



Word of the day from Online Etymology Dictionary http://www.etymonline.com/:


renew (v.) 
late 14c., from re- "again" + Middle English newen "resume, revive, renew" (see new); formed on analogy of Latin renovare. Related: Renewedrenewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.