I am working on a couple of long summer dresses which I copied from a dress that has a very flattering fit. (It looks like a bag dress on the hanger but flows over curves and hides figure flaws nicely). Here it is with one section pinned flat so I can get an exact trace of the piece to copy it.
I wrote a little about it here: http://sew-i-do.blogspot.com/2012/11/back-burner-project-moving-ahead.html
It has been a long process because several projects have been done in between the start and finish. Also until it got hot, there was not much motivation to start sewing sleeveless clothes. It was still snowing here in the middle of May. Here is a photo of the adjustments I made on the muslin.
I wrote more about muslin copies here: http://sew-i-do.blogspot.com/2013/05/muslin.html
Last week when I talked about my cutting table, the dress on the top was the second dress I made from the copied pattern. I need to add buttons and button holes and finish some of the hand stitching (hem, tacking facings and finishing the back of the neck) but before I do that it is hanging for 24 hours so that I can get everything even.
To make it work for summer casual and work I also made McCalls 6468 which is a super easy vest/jacket kind of garment to go with it. I think it works, but it probably is not quite as flattering as I had hoped. On a thinner and younger person this would be just fine, but if I make this again for me, I will use fabric that flows and drapes better, probably a fabric similar to what I used on these dresses.
Here is a photo of the original on the left, the first copy in the middle and the second copy on the right with McCalls 6468.
from Online Etymology Dictionary: